Named for William M. Alexander, an early settler of the county bearing his name and Senator in the second and third General Assemblies of the State.
America became the first county seat in 1818. The county seat was removed in 1833 to a place called Unity, where it remained until the county was divided and Pulaski County was formed. Unity was the second county seat from 1833-1845. Thebes was county seat from 1846-1859 and Cairo from 1859 to the present. The courthouse in Cairo was completed in 1865.
First Judicial Circuit (Fifth Appellate District)
Cairo, County Seat
Alexander County Courthouse
2000 Washington Avenue
Cairo, IL 62914
Named after Andrew Jackson, seventh President of the United States (1829–1837).
The current reinforced concrete courthouse replaced earlier wooden structures and was built during 1927-28.
The original county seat and courthouse were located along the Big Muddy River at Brownsville. To afford a more strategic location after the courthouse in Brownsville was destroyed by fire, County government was moved upstream a few miles to Murphysboro.
Johnson County FYI
Named for Richard M. Johnson, a Colonel of the Kentucky militia, who served in Indian wars and the War of 1812, and reputed to have killed the Indian chief, Tecumseh, at the battle of Thames. Johnson served as Representative in Congress and United States Senator from Kentucky and Vice-President of the United States from 1837 to 1841.
Vienna, County Seat
Courthouse contact information:
Johnson County Courthouse
Vienna, IL 62995
Named after Fort Massac. The fort was named in honor of the Marquis de Massiac, a French naval minister.
Massac County, Illinois was formed in 1843 from Pope and Johnson Counties and its boundaries remain unchanged to this date. The name Massac was taken from Fort Massac. Massac County is located in the Southern tip of Illinois. It is bordered by Pulaski County to the West, Johnson County to the North, Pope County to the East and the Ohio River to the South.
Pope County FYI
Named for Nathaniel Pope, first Territorial Secretary of State (1809–1816).
The town was named Sarahsville in honor of Sarah Lusk. Just how the town evolved from Sarahsville to Golconda contains a small amount of mystery. Court records show the platting of Sarahsville on August 28, 1816. On January 24, 1817, the name "Corinth" was ordered. That same day another entry says: "Order that the town now called Sarahsville, the present seat of justice for Pope County, hereafter be called Golconda, at the request of the proprietors" .
Golconda, County Seat
Pope County Courthouse
310 East Main Street
Golconda, IL 62938
The county was named for Count Casimir Pulaski; Polish exile killed in 1779 while fighting on the side of the patriots in the American Revolution.
Pulaski County was formed in 1843 out of Alexander and Johnson Counties.
The county was formed in 1843 and the county seat is Mound City.
Saline County FYI
Saline got its name from the Saline River. The making of salt from the Salines was a major part of industry for the region.
Harrisburg was platted as a village on 20 acres in 1853. It became the county seat six years later. In 1861, as it approached a population of 500, it became a town. In 1889, with a population of 1,500, Harrisburg became a city, with an aldermanic form of government. It adopted the commission form in 1915.
Harrisburg, County Seat
Saline County Courthouse
10 East Poplar Street
Harrisburg, IL 62946
Named for the federal union of the American States.
The original log courthouse was erected in 1818 on the town square, but in a few years proved to be too small for the rapidly growing county. In 1857, a new courthouse was constructed on Market Street, a short distance northwest of the town square. This structure, which is still in use, has had several additions to it. Standing next to the courthouse is one of the oldest jails still functioning in the state.
Williamson County FYI
Named after Williamson County in Tennessee through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Marion, County Seat
Williamson County Courthouse
200 West Jefferson
Marion, IL 62959