The purpose of the policy is to provide a comprehensive policy on electronic access to
the court records held by the Clerk of the Circuit Court. The policy provides for access in
a manner that:
(1) Provides maximum accessibility to court records;
(2) Supports the role of the judiciary;
(3) Promotes governmental accountability;
(4) Contributes to public safety;
(5) Avoids risk of harm to individuals;
(6) Makes most effective use of court and clerk of court staff;
(7) Provides excellent customer service;
(8) Protects individual privacy rights and interests;
(9) Protects proprietary business information;
(10) Minimizes reluctance to use the court to resolve disputes; and
(11) Does not unduly burden the ongoing business of the judiciary.
The policy is intended to provide guidance to (1) litigants and the general public
seeking electronic access to court records and (2) judges, and court and clerk of court
personnel responding to requests for electronic access.
Each circuit court that wishes to provide electronic access to the court records
maintained by any clerk of court within its jurisdiction must adopt a local rule or
administrative order consistent with this policy. All courts and clerks shall employ
appropriate security measures, procedures, devices and software to protect the court’s
records and to prevent unauthorized access.