Loading
Historical Header Graphic
Quick Links
Legal Community
E-Business Online Services
Citizen Self Help
For Educators
Local Court Information:
spacer gif

Charles H. Davis

Previous Illinois Supreme Court Justice


Charles H. Davis was born in Fairfield, Wayne County, Illinois, on January 7, 1906. Justice Davis received both his elementary and high school educations in Fairfield public schools; graduated from the University of Illinois, A.B. degree in 1928 and from University of Chicago with Doctor of Jurisprudence in 1931. He was admitted to the Bar in 1931, and practiced law in Rockford until his election to the Supreme Court of Illinois, February, 1955. He was a member of the law firm of Thomas and Davis from 1945 to 1955. He was Justice, Supreme Court of Illinois from 1955 to 1960. Justice Davis succeeded Justice William J. Fulton, and was succeeded by Justice Roy J. Solfisburg. He was Chief Justice from 1957 to 1958. He was a member of law firm of Thomas, Davis, Kostantacos from 1960 through 1965. He was elected Justice of Illinois Appellate Court, Second District in November 1964, and served as Presiding Justice in 1967 and 1970. Justice Davis was re-elected to the Supreme Court of Illinois on November 3, 1970 (succeeded Justice Roy J. Solfisburg, and succeeded by Caswell J. Crebs) and retired from the Court in October 1975. He is a past president and director of the Winnebago Farm School for Boys and was a member of the American, Illinois, and Winnebago County Bar Associations, American Judicature Society, Fellow-American College of Trial Lawyers, Phi Delta Phi legal fraternity, Congregationalist, Mason (Shrine), and was affiliated with the Republican party. He married Ruth Peugh, October 19, 1935 and had seven children.