IHPA Home

Pat Quinn , Governor

IHPA Branches

IHPA Home
Historic Sites
Preservation Services
Presidential Library
Presidential Museum
Publications
Contact Us

IHPA Services


IHPA Programs


Student Historian
Cemetery Services
Cemetery Preservation
Ready Illinois
Cemetery Services
 

[Search Tips]

   Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices   

6th & Adams Sts, Springfield
217/785-7289

Open:
Hours are seasonal.
Please contact the site at 217/785-7289
for more information.

Site Holiday Closings: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

 

The Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices are within the only remaining building in which Abraham Lincoln maintained a law office. The site consists of the surviving portion of a three-story brick commercial block constructed in 1840-41. Exterior details reflect the then-popular Greek Revival architectural style. Though designed as a commercial structure, portions of the building were rented for offices and other purposes. Lincoln practiced law in the building from 1843 to about 1852. During his 1847-1849 tenure as a United States Congressman, partner William H. Herndon (1818-1891) maintained the practice. In 1978 the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a part of the Central Springfield Historic District.

The “restored” building’s first floor visitor center consists of an exhibit gallery and audiovisual theater, along with a room interpreted as an 1840s post office facility. On the second floor are rooms representing those used by the federal court, and on the third floor a "common room" and three lawyers’ offices. Two of the offices were used by Lincoln and his partners, prominent local attorneys Herndon and Stephen T. Logan (1800-1880). The recreated offices are notable for the plainness and disorder that were remembered by Lincoln associates.

After viewing an orientation video, visitors receive a twenty-minute guided tour of the historic rooms. On Wednesdays during the summer months, a costumed interpreter portrays Lincoln’s law clerk. Exhibits in the visitor center provide information on Lincoln’s legal career and life on the Eighth Judicial Circuit. The building is fully accessible to persons with disabilities. The Tinsley Dry Goods Store gift shop is contiguous to the Lincoln-Herndon building.

Amy Martin, Director

Board of Trustees

Sunny Fischer, Chair
Daniel J. Arnold
Julia Sniderman Bachrach
D. Jeanie Cooke
Melinda Spitzer Johnston
Anthony J. Leone, Jr.
Dr. Shirley J. Portwood

Historic Sites

Site Hours
Albany Mounds
Apple River Fort
Bishop Hill
Black Hawk
Bryant Cottage
Buel House
Cahokia Courthouse
Cahokia Mounds
Cambell's Island Memorial
Carl Sandburg
Dana-Thomas House
David Davis Mansion
Douglas Tomb
Fort de Chartres
Fort Kaskaskia
Governor Bond Memorial
Governor Coles Memorial
Governor Horner Memorial
Grand Village of the Illinois
Halfway Tavern
Hofmann Tower
Jarrot Mansion
Jubilee College
Kaskaskia Bell Memorial
Kincaid Mounds
Korean War Memorial
Lewis and Clark
Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices
Lincoln Log Cabin
Lincoln Monument
Lincoln Tomb
Lincoln Trail Memorial
Lincoln's New Salem
Lovejoy Memorial
Martin-Boismenue House
Metamora Courthouse
Mount Pulaski Courthouse
Norwegian Settlers Memorial
Old Market House
Old State Capitol
Pierre Menard Home
Postville Courthouse
Pullman
Rose Hotel
Shawneetown Bank
U.S. Grant Home
Vachel Lindsay Home
Vandalia State House
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Washburne House
Wild Bill Hickok Memorial
World War II Memorial

State Features

Living in Illinois
Copyright © 2007 IHPA Contact Us | Illinois Privacy Info | Web Accessibility | IHPA Info